Woods reveals rehab struggles after car crash

Tiger Woods has given his first interview since the February car crash that nearly claimed his life.

The 15-time major champion was hospitalised for a month after the accident, which left him with serious injuries, including fractures to both the tibia and fibula bones in his right leg.

Woods wasn’t charged over the single-vehicle accident, with the Los Angeles County Sherrif’s Department concluding that Woods was speeding when he crossed onto the wrong side of the road before hitting a tree.

“This has been an entirely different animal,” Woods told Gold Digest.

“I understand more of the rehab processes because of my past injuries, but this was more painful than anything I have ever experienced.”

According to Golf Digest, it’s still not clear if Woods will require further surgeries, or if he will ever regain full strength and movement in the leg.

Nor would the 45-year-old be drawn on whether or not he’ll ever be able to play professional golf again.

“My physical therapy has been keeping me busy,” Woods said.

“I do my routines every day and am focused on my No. 1 goal right now: walking on my own. Taking it one step at a time.”

Woods thanked all those who’ve sent messages of support during his recovery, which included players wearing red shirts in his honour immediately after his accident.

“It’s been incredible,” Woods said.

“I have had so much support from people both inside and outside of golf which means so much to me and has helped tremendously.”

Woods took note of long-time rival Phil Mickelson’s history-making win at the PGA Championship earlier this week.

The left-hander became the oldest player ever to win a major, taking the title just a month short of his 51st birthday.

“Truly inspirational to see @PhilMickelson do it again at 50 years of age,” Woods tweeted.


For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

pin up